When you think of being in a relationship you probably picture date nights, cuddling, kissing, and some good old-fashioned banging but what do you do if the one you love is too far away for any of the fun couple-y stuff to happen? Well, it’s not super easy but it’s definitely not as hard as it seems, especially if you both really care for each other and see a lasting relationship in your future.
Instead of moping around and missing your love all the time, stay positive and look on the bright side. Distance can be good for a relationship because it relies on really getting to know each other and it tests how strong you guys are when faced with a difficult situation. If you really love one another, geography shouldn’t interfere. Frankly, you should tell geography to fuck off and stop letting the distance psych you out. If you’re confident in your partner and yourself you can make it work fabulously.
Here are some tips on how to make it through your time apart:
- Try to talk on the phone at least once a day. Sure, texting is easy but talking on the phone still exists too, so start making a habit out of actually hearing each others’ voices, at least daily. Skype dates are good as well. Seeing and hearing your partner will help you feel like they are there with you and will help ease the loneliness. You’ll also be able to go over the day’s events, which will in turn help you feel more in sync. We don’t live in the 1800’s anymore so there’s really no reason it can’t FEEL as though your loved one is right there next to you. If they don’t have access to a phone or internet, you’ll have to resort to the almost obsolete love letter. You remember how to write, don’t you? On a side note: Sending a hand written letter every once in a while is extremely romantic so even if your gadgets work fine, give it a try sometime.
- Trust, trust, trust. Being hundreds of miles apart can wreak havoc on even the most trustworthy couples but you need to realize that each of you has vowed to stay committed to each other despite the distance. You’ll need to trust your partner now more than ever and know that nothing bad is going to happen while they’re away. A strong relationship will already rely heavily on trust and it’s important to know that no funny business will be happening in your absence. You’ll drive yourself crazy if you don’t trust your significant other so chill out and remember: they love you.
- Be Honest. Always be honest with each other about what’s going on in your lives. With Social Media on a rampant rise these days, nothing’s private anyway. If you’re going out to a club with your friends, don’t lie about it because chances are your partner will eventually find out anyway. Plus, not being honest with each other will eventually lead to a huge loss of trust (see #2) which is always a red flag. Remember, you love this person, WHY wouldn’t you be honest with them?
- Know that it’s not permanent. Sure, there are some long distance relationships that may always stay that way but in most cases there’s an end goal and you know that you’ll be reunited one day. Making future plans together will help you grow and will give you both something to look forward to. Looking towards the future will give you both hope and will allow you to imagine what it will be like when you are reunited and able to have REAL date nights again.
- Keep yourself busy. Sitting around by yourself, counting the hours and waiting for your partner to return will only slow time down. Pick up a hobby, join a sports team, or find a good group of friends to spend your time with. The days will fly by a lot quicker if you keep yourself occupied and before you know it, that visit you planned months ago will be right around the corner. You’ll drive yourself crazy if you put all your free time into daydreaming about your love. Just know that you WILL see them again and have faith that time won’t change anyone’s feelings.
Being apart will always suck. There’s no way around that but if you love each other enough you already know there’s no distance that could ever come between you. This may be one of the biggest tests your relationship will face but understand that once you get through it, your future selves will be incredibly stronger than you ever imagined possible.
You can ace this geography test,
The Love Hawk